Friday 19 December 2014

When I found out why a person chooses to join the Army.

I have always been intrigued by Army Officers. There's something about that crisp uniform with stars on the shoulders that they wear, the aura with which they walk in, the strength with which they pull in the trigger yet the warmth they ooze while conversing with kids, senior citizens or women.

But one question that have intrigued me more, is why one chooses to join Army when they know there's always a risk factor that looms at large over them. Everyday, 24*7.
Once a major told me, "Everyone will die someday. What better, if my life ends fighting for my country?"
Bravado! What else can we say.

Whenever there is a terror attack (almost everyday) or a natural calamity (remember the 2013 Uttarakhand floods or the 2014 J&K floods) it's our military forces who rise up as our saviors.  
These REAL life heroes make us believe that life without them around us is just impossible. The shield us, protect us and act as our bullet proof jackets taking in all the bullets that come our way.

The recent gun battle in Kashmir valley kept me awake at nights as thoughts haunted me how it felt to lose a father, a son, a life partner. Terrible. There's no replacement to a pain like this. But then, death becomes synonymous the day an officer chooses to wear that olive uniform.

A heartfelt message was dropped in my Facebook inbox this morning where a Lieutenant Colonel wrote why he chose to join the Army.
Here is what the officer wrote,
"I did not become an Army Officer. Rather, life chose me to become one. My life's purpose is to help people out of their pain and in the process serve the nation for a noble cause. I wake up every day for my motherland so that thousands of mothers can sleep peacefully with their sons. And, though it is my duty, I don't take it as my profession. And I am grateful for this."

What can we say? Thanks and gratitude.

And as a romance writer, my all time favorite Army film is 'Dear John' where Channing Tatum plays a soldier in love from the US Military Forces.
#Army #IndianArmy #RealLifeHeroes 

No comments:

Post a Comment